- Open source Joomla CMS (Content Management System).
- Calendar and Events integration.
- Full-featured integrated blog for staff to write articles and update news for their customers. Workload is spread around to several staff members, and constant new site content increases SEO.
- Document management system.
- Slide show/photo gallery for event photos.
- Integrated Google location mapping.
Bruce had already built and maintained the previous Messiah website pro-bono, so when he decided to overhaul the site for them on his own time using the Joomla CMS, he pretty much just asked them for a wishlist. What they really wanted was a warm, friendly site that would attract new parishioners, as well as being a useful hub of information for current church members. One bonus was that the in-house graphic designer at the church would be able to jump in and take over much of the site maintenance using the Joomla admin.
Bruce used the Joomla CMS and a prebuilt template that happened to have a design that echoes the architectural features of the church itself. He integrated several Joomla components to build a calendar system, blogs, a document management system, and an easy-to-update slideshow. With a bit of training, the designer at the church regularly updates site content, the pastors are able to keep up their own blogs, and fresh images are added to the slideshow to share recent church events.